takingthescenicroutee asked: Hello there! I was just wondering what kind of supplies you used for all of your drawings! Like what paper, pens, scanner?, notebooks you use. Right now I have a large moleskin I doodle in, and its kind of a pain to scan in sometimes. Any suggestions on some good supplies to stock up on?
Ooh, I haven’t answered a question like this in a while! Here are some of my favorite supplies:
- Wacom Bamboo Capture tablet, love of my life
- Mechanical pencils + regular ole printer paper (I often use the back side of old script drafts from my Second City classes)
- Micron Pens in size 02, the most wondrous pen for inking detail. This is what I use for signing all my prints.
- Sharpie Pens, for inking larger shapes
- Genius Scan, a free iPhone app for scanning (you just take a photo of your art, use the black and white filter to clean it up, and email it to yourself as a .jpg — I recommend this if you’re having trouble scanning your moleskine onto a regular scanner)
- Acorn for Mac, where the magic happens (one day I’ll shell out for Photoshop and Illustrator but, for now, this $50 program gets the job done just fine)
- For notebooks, I just go to Target or Walgreens and pick the ones with the prettiest covers (+1000 points for cats), but I mostly use notebooks for writing and not drawing
- Prismacolor colored pencils, so, so expensive but absolutely magical. Spend a few hours coloring a big project at Starbucks and feel like the fanciest artist around. Also they smell like heaven (but I am weird and in love with the smell of art supplies and wish Crayola made a perfume)
- Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust Pens spread sparkles all over your paper and look like pens that space fairies would use. My favorite since 7th grade. They make grocery lists look beautiful.
- Washi tape, any brand, any color, any pattern. I am in love.
I hope this is helpful!!